This light is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Reference #73000957 Name of Listing: OLD PRESQUE ISLE LIGHTHOUSE.
The Old Presque Isle Light was the first lighthouse in the Presque Isle, Michigan area, built in 1840, supported physically by two-thirds stone and one-third brick, and supported financially by funds appropriated by Congress two years earlier of $5,000. The tower and dwelling did not last long in the harsh weather, however, and by 1867 they were deteriorated enough for Congress to find need for a newer station. The Lighthouse Board – the service responsible for building and maintaining lights most effectively – decided to move the lighthouse location about two miles (3 km) north, where vessels which were farther from shore could still easily see the light. The tower was also designed to be 113 feet (34 m) in height, more than 80 feet (24 m) taller than the older one. Congress appropriated 7,000 dollars to make this possible in March 1867, and the New Presque Isle Lighthouse was soon erected.
Hours of Operation
The Old Presque Isle Light Gift Shop and Museum are open to the public from mid-May through mid-October from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (hours may vary during the beginning and end of the season). Tower climbs are available during the same hours.
Wanting to Reserve
The Old Presque Isle Lighthouse Park is open to the public and available for reservations for private events. Reservation fees for the grounds are $400.00 per day or $50.00 per hour up to a maximum of 2 hours (with restrictions)*. An arbor, chairs, and tables are also available for an additional fee. Please contact the Township Hall at 989-595-2752 or email email@example.com more information or to schedule your event.